Welcome to Meru Water and Sewerage Services


  1. What is MEWASS?
  2. MEWASS is a Trustee formed, that has taken over the provision of water and sewerage services in Meru Town and its environs from the Ministry of Water and Irrigation, and Municipal Council of Meru.

  3. Will MEWASS issue bills monthly?
  4. Mewass promises to issue accurate bills every month, through the nominated email account or phone number, with a clear disconnection notice. We also promise to restore water supply within the working hours after payments have been made.

  5. Is the water provided by MEWASS safe for drinking?
  6. Yes, the water is treated as per the standards of the World Health Organization and Kenya Bureau of Standards (KBS). The Central Water Testing Laboratories, Government Chemist, KBS and the Ministry of Health randomly and independently also sample the water and have certified it fit for human consumption

  7. How will the Trustee deal with illegal connections and unpaid bills?
  8. Customers who does not pay their bills are disconnected and charged a penalty of 500/-. Mewass imposes a further penalty of 500 for self reconnections. People with illegal bypasses/illegal connections are prosecuted

  9. Am I allowed to reconnect my water after a disconnection?
  10. According to the Water Act 2002, it is a criminal offence to reconnect your own water.

  11. How does Mewass arrive at the cost that the consumer is billed?
  12. After a meter reading, billing is based on set tariff rates. The consumer is billed for only what is consumed

  13. Can I read my own meter?
  14. Yes. Mewass encourages consumers to take their own meter readings especially those whose premises are inaccessible to Mewass staff, and bring them for billing purposes.

  15. How can I get a meter as a new water consumer?
  16. Meters are provided free of charge by Mewass once payments of materials are paid for. The meter however remains the property of Mewass and the consumer is responsible for its safety.

  17. What should I do if my meter is faulty
  18. You should report to Mewass office. Your meter will be tested by Mewass Technicians and replacements will be made if need be.

  19. Where can I pay my water bills?
  20. You can make water payments at the Equity Bank, countrywide. Also you can pay via M-pesa paybill number 918350.

  21. How will Mewass fight corruption among its employees?
  22. Customers are asked to report any Mewass employee asking for bribes to the management. No payments should be made without formal authorizations.